24 December 2010

A Walk to Remember

After reading the book titled: A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks, I was pondering while in the train how many paths have we been crossing or walking by each day. Sometimes, more than twice or perhaps just once to allow us to remember how it looks like, how it feels like and how it became etched into our memories.

I've walked for twenty-two years presently and still counting. There are times in life that I can remember so clearly as though it was yesterday but there are times that it was forgotten as easily as a snap of a finger. I remembered the time when I walked into my secondary school. I thought to myself, why was I posted to such a school? Why didn't I get into the ones that I wanted to go into? It wasn't a pleasant first day, as of every year despite being happy to see old friends and newbies coming into school again.

I remember the time when I first walked into the lecture halls of my polytechnic school. Understanding that I made the choice to choose this particular school far away from home, I was facing a sea of strangers and was alone for several days or maybe just a week. I remembered dragging my feet to classes and lectures, sitting alone and secretly eating snacks to keep me awake throughout the lessons.

I remember the time when I first step into Tekong, seeing how anxious everyone is with their parents and love ones. Seeing none being excited to be at that place and at that time, but we know we had no choice but to fulfill our obligations.

I remember the time when I first step into a Guards camp. I heard stories of how they train as elite soldiers and always wonder if I can survive there. I almost wanted to curse and swear at my previous sir for sending me there instead of somewhere less demanding. I saw the faces of those who wanted to test the newbies, I wasn't scare, just wondering how do I survive.

I remembered the woods where I brought her to walk and manage to allow her to hold onto my hands as it was dark. It wasn't a trick as deep down I was scare too, but I know that she must be feeling the same, I just push on and try to enjoy the walk.

I remembered walking down the cemetery along and sitting by the tombstones wondering about life from that moment on.

We remember a lot of significant events in our lives, some enjoyable, some hurtful. But as we continue to walk down many more paths in the future, perhaps one day we will just look back and see how much we had in the past and how much more awaits for us in the future.

I believe that destiny is in the hands of the one who believe that he or she can change the future of his or her life. Eventually, there will be a walk that people will remember you for who you are and what you have done in their lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home