01 December 2008

Firstly, before I begin my long-winded and boring story again... I would like to dedicate the first part of my entry to someone special. A close friend since Secondary 1 and a fellow competitor!

Happy Birthday to you Puffer Fish!!!!!

I hope you are enjoying your life now and ever, and since it's winter in Australia now... I guess you are also growing fat since you can't go jogging out in the snow and cold. No worries!! You are still loved by mei mei and me!

Well, back to my life. 5 years ago, I entered Sarimbun with lots of pride and honour, yet feeling nervous as it was going to be the biggest competition in my life. The team agreed upon the slogan: "Fight with Honour, Win with Pride".

The mother of all competition in Singapore Scouting, the National Patrol Competition, was the biggest and most exciting competition to see units competing with each other for the hall of fame. Well, I knew we couldn't get a Gold, however, we were still keen in winning the first medal back to White Stag Scout Troop!

4 days of intense competition and the rain was unforgiving. 4 days of pressure and yet we did have fun. On that night, when the results were announced, we huddled together and pray. We prayed that we will do ourselves proud and win. And .... (Drum roll, please!)...

Flash back, that was what I felt last night as I stood at the campfire circle for the 3rd time during the NPC. While watching the 3rd generation of boys going for the NPC, was like walking down a memory lane for my batch as well as the 2nd batch who went there and survived well. The atmosphere was intense as before and patrols were all fighting for the best. It was one hell of an environment to be in.

I would like to congratulate the patrols from the 6 scout units, representing Tampines District for the NPC 08. Here are the results for those who didn't know about it:

Silver Award
East Spring Oneida Patrol
Ngee Ann Wichita Patrol

Bronze Award
Changkat Changi Eagles Patrol
Dunman Dove Patrol
Cuon Scout Patrol
Siglap White Stag Patrol

I can say that this is the first time in Tampines District that all the units worked their best to achieve something for their unit. I would like to honour these brave souls and perhaps, be a start to have a hall of fame for such activities.

I must say I was very touched by 3 units in particular that showed a major turn-around since DPCC 08. Changkat Changi Eagles, Dunman Dove and Siglap White Stag... Hey PLs and members, stop and turn back now... look at DPCC 08 and see how you guys were like and compare it to now NPC 08. What have you gain and what have you do to achieve these?

The most heartwarming experience was the unity of the Tampines District. Have an units noticed that whenever one of the six patrols was receiving the award, besides the unit cheer... you can also heart the voices of youth from Tampines District declaring that we are as one big family.

You can hear:
"Tampines ... Tampines...
Tampines, Tampines, Tampines
You are the one
You are the Champion
You will always be Number 1
Tampines!"

I would long to hear these kids cheer on, when they grow to be leaders of Tampines one day.

I would long to hear the next generation of kids, singing with pride.

I would long to see the unity of Tampines, as no other district can achieve such unity and strength and friendship.

3 cheers for the patrols who made all of us proud.
Hip Hip... Hurray
Hip Hip... Hurray
Hip Hip... Hurray!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home